2007年10月14日日曜日

Morimura Yasumasa

Kombanwa,

I don't believe I have told anybody about this in class, but the reason for my interest in Japanese is because I am currently writing my senior thesis on post-modern Japanese art, concentrating specifically on the body of work done by Yasumasa Morimura. I don't know if anybody knows much about him, but he a contemporary Japanese appropriation artist whose works primarily consists of self-portriats. I don't know if anyone is interested in him or his body of work, but if you are PLEASE let me know. I would love to talk about him with any of you, instead of writing my thesis topic word for word on a blog.

But anyhow, this past weekend as I was researching him in Avery and the East Asian Library, I was so happy to find that I could recognize and read some of the words in Hiragana in the texts written in Japanese. While what I could read was clearly VERY little, it was great to see how much I've learned in our class in such a small amount of time.

see you all in class!

Ja-mata!

1 件のコメント:

Unknown さんのコメント...

I have never heard of him. Do you have any pictures of his work? I might recognize them. :)